Cubs Cake

Monday, May 9, 2011



My youngest brother, John, is a HUGE Cubs fan.  Who knows why…they haven’t been on top of baseball in over 100 years, but he loves them anyway.  :)  He also turned 20 on May 1st – no longer a teenager!

In my opinion, your birthday should be one of the best days of your year and John had a rough April, so I wanted to make sure his birthday was extra special.   When he asked for a cake that was a replica of Wrigley Field, the Cubs stadium, I told him there was no chance, but that I’d do something in honor of his team.  

I went with a red and blue velvet cake, since those are the Cubbies colors.  I also got to try fondant frosting for the first time, as well as painting with food coloring.  Lots of fun!  Thankfully, Sophia helped out a LOT – the biggest help of all was that she took two naps the day that the cake was made!  She was also a great taste tester.  
  DSCN2744
Her favorite is the frosting…

DSCN2745

I liked the blue velvet the best – it definitely lived up to it’s name.  It was so smooth – I may now only make cakes in velvet!  And check out that color!

DSCN2737
Here is the crazy 20-year-old himself.  What you can’t see are the little boy birthday party supplies we brought with the cake, including a red and blue balloon bouquet, complete with a baseball balloon, and baseball plates for the cake and cupcakes.  

cubscake1
 
Here’s a nice shot of the inside.  It turned out pretty well  - thank goodness the Cubs have a simple logo!

cubscake2


What I didn’t realize was that I was setting a bit of a precedent for family birthdays.  I’ve already been asked for an Oakland A’s cake (Dad), a Twins cake (Dan), and I wouldn’t be surprised if my other brother asked for a St. Louis Cardinals cake.   Apparently, this is the year of baseball cakes in our family. 

2 comments:

Arleigh and Jeff said...

awesome cake Beth! Wow! I'm impressed! can you make me a Vikings cake for my birthday? ha ha

Jessica said...

That looks great! Nice work!! I've never had the nerve to work with fondant- how was it? I can't believe "little" John is 20!!

About This Blog

August 15, 2009 we were blessed with our beautiful baby girl. This is us, shouting to the world, how amazing and wonderful she is!

Picture

Lorem Ipsum

Hit Counters

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP